UNIONVILLE/DUBACH, LA 1893 Greater Pleasant Grove Baptist Church History The Pleasant Grove Baptist Church was organized in 1893. It was established as an offspring of the Hopewell Baptist Church. The organizers were Walsh Jackson, Jeff Dunn, Phyllis Lewis and Jordan Graham. The first building was located where the Colvin Memorial stands presently. In 1920, the location was move to a site near the Pleasant Grove cemetery.

The current site was originally the Pleasant Grove School. When the schools were integrated in the late 1960’s, the building and property, through a previous agreement, went to the church. After warning off attempts by parties interested in clearing the site for a golf course, (through the efforts of John Willie Jenkins, Calvin Powell, Murphy Gray, Robert Powell and others) the building was renovated and became the new home of the Pleasant Grove Baptist Church.

Former Pastors:

1. Pastor Crawford Lewis 1893
1st Deacon George Land
Treasurer Braxton Morrow
Secretary Alfred Ashley
15 members
2. Pastor B. Y. Brown
3. Pastor Simmie Keal
4. Pastor Bob Green
5. Pastor F. T. Delly [Rayella Delley (a relative visiting the church after many years in June 2000) made the church aware that the initials F. T. were for Frank Tiegs]
6. Pastor P. B. Lewis
7. Pastor D. M. Brown
8. Pastor Walter Gipson
9. Pastor S. L. Holland 1911 – 1913
10. Pastor G. S Thirus 1914 –1916
11. Pastor Dock Lewis 1920 – 1922
12. Pastor H. J. Jordan 1922-1926
13. Pastor L. H. Lewis 1927 – 1931
14. Pastor A. L. Jones 1931 – 1934
15. Pastor C. L. Hodge 1934 – 1939
16. Pastor E. H. Houston 1940 – 1949
17. Pastor L. S. Tobin 1950 – 1956
18. Pastor J. D. Lewis 1957 –1970
19. Pastor G. B. Dunn 1971 – 1973
20. Pastor Zachery Carter 1974 – 1985
21. Pastor Walter Mayfield 1986 – 1999 Church began 2nd Sunday service in addition to 4th Sunday Wednesday night bible study in addition to prayer meeting
22. Pastor John L. Russell 2000 – 2001
23. Pastor Carl Butler 2002 – 2005 (2004 Church began full time service)
24. Pastor William G. Fields, Sr. 2005 – Present (2007 Began Intercessory Prayer – 8AM Saturday; 2008 Official name of church changed from Pleasant Grove Baptist Church to Greater Pleasant Grove Baptist Church

Vision of the House

1. We are a Church of Love
2. We are Committed and Consistent
3. We are Evangelists
4. We are a Family
5. We have a Spirit of Excellence
6. We are a Tithing Church
7. We are an Obedient Church
8. We are a Church of Character
9. We are a Spirit-filled Church
10. We are a Church that Praises and Worships
11. We are a Preaching and Teaching Church
12. We are a Church that Forgives
13. We are a Praying and Fasting Church
14. We are a Church of Faith
15. We are a Timely Church
16. We Take Authority over the Spirit of Distraction
17. A Church that is “Greater